Another week comes and goes. We've just
finished our sixth week and are officially halfway through our
lecture phase. It's been a crazy month and a half since I arrived and
I've definitely changed more than I can say. Which I'm very happy
about! This week the topic was about missions and it was super
inspiring. We all felt so excited every morning when it was time for
the lecture to start.
When someone hears the word missions,
they often picture some poor Jesus freak who doesn't have anything
but works for free. Or they think of the complete opposite. Someone
who gets money from other people but usually spends it on themselves
while working for the community they're in. That's generally the
picture I get. However, as we read through the book of Acts this
week, I found my view on it changing for the better. Our speaker made
it seem to come alive to us and inspired us in so many ways.
What consistently stood out to me was
the persecution that the apostles and disciples of Christ had to go
through while they spoke out on how they felt about their faith. They
were beaten, scourged, burned, crucified, and a number of other
things, yet when they were told to stop speaking, they responded with
“We cannot stop speaking on the things we have seen and heard,”
which completely captivated me. It really got me thinking on whether
or not my faith has been real to me if I'm not willing to die for
what I believe. Paul wrote that he “dies daily” and that phrase
is on my mind constantly even as I write this. At the end of this
week, we had a chance to respond to what God was saying in our lives.
I really felt as though I was being told “Lay down what others want
for you and look to what I want for you.” I was pretty shocked when
that came because I thought that in me coming here, I'd laid down a
lot. I think though, in a lot of ways that was only the beginning of
what God is wanting me to lay down for Him. It's hard to put into
words how this week made me feel but to put it simply, it warmed and
captivated my heart. I truly felt myself coming alive.
There were a lot of things that came
up, a lot I had to fight against this week. Spiritual warfare came
strongly in my life and I found myself quite sick over the past
weekend and the first couple of days of the week. Though I wasn't
sick with a flu or anything, I couldn't keep food down and walked
around like I hadn't slept all night, even though the reality was
that I'd slept more than enough. I had a few people here pray for me
and many from home also keeping me in their prayers which I believe
truly helped me out the most.
There was also a lot of talk about
forgiveness and repentance this week which threw me off quite a lot
because of how deep I found conviction truly goes. I'm someone who
feels convicted easily and the previous week we'd had to make a list
of what we needed to openly repent to God for and people we needed to
forgive. The repentance list was not a short list and the forgiving
list went deeper than I thought. On Wednesday, we all sat in a circle
with our lists and took turns praying out to God for forgiveness and
that we chose to forgive the people who'd hurt us in our past. This
was probably the most freeing thing I have ever done in my
relationship with God. To openly admit to past sins, turn away from
them, and then choose to offer the same forgiveness God gives to
other people, it has an incredible affect! I don't think I've been
the same since this day. My heart is full of more joy, freedom, and
graciousness than before. We were encouraged to make it right if we
felt convicted with something we'd done in our lives, and many people
made the step to that which was so inspiring to see and experience!
Though it was all very difficult to walk into, we came out with a
much stronger bond, knowing there were no secrets between us, but
also no judgement either. Just acceptance, love, and encouragement.
There's been times this week that I've
felt a little homesick. Sometimes I'll be listening to music and a
country song will pop up and I'll remember those times at home when
I'd speed down the roads, listening to country music, singing along
at the top of my lungs. Or when my Mama writes me “Oh, we're having
chicken noodle soup for dinner and then having a Netflix night.”
and I get a flashback to when my parents and I would be sitting
together just talking and laughing. I miss workdays with my Papa,
climbing ladders, using nail guns, lifting and moving things bigger
than my little body, not being able to keep paint off myself, and
sometimes even that terrible glue that would stick to my hands for
days. I miss dancing for hours on end every weekend, teasing my
siblings, sitting at the piano to sing and write, and movie/Starbucks
dates with friends. Sometimes it feels like I've been here forever
already and will I ever be home? Other times I sit in amazement that
it's already been six weeks and has so much really changed in my
heart?
Despite feeling homesick, God is at
work. A mix of emotions this week has really shown me that God is
stable, that He is the one thing that will never change when
everything around me does. He's a comfort. He's a strong tower.
Sacrificing what I need to in order to live and die for Christ is an
honor.
For those amazing prayer warriors who
come alongside my journey from home, pray against homesickness. Pray
that I can live in this moment and enjoy it for what it truly is.
Pray against spiritual warfare that is around all of us here. Pray
for the rest of my outreach money to come!!! (Still accepting
donations for those interested in giving.) I believe God provides and
answers prayers, so please be praying for that. :) That's all, folks!
“To live is Christ. To die is gain.”
-Naomi
No comments:
Post a Comment