Saturday, January 10, 2015

Settling In

They spell "tire" differently. They write "tyre." I'd say this is the hardest adjustment, but not quite. Although it is quite high up there on the list. Yesterday was a bit of a struggle as I settled in, but not in the way that I'd expected. I expected emotional struggles, doubts, and just general uncomfortable feelings about being in an unfamiliar place. But I didn't experience much of that at all. I experienced so much joy in being in this new place.

We went to a beautiful lookout point that overlooks the coastline. You can see for miles on a sunny day! It was foggy out, so one could only see a limited distance, but it was still a breathtaking sight for sure. We went to the shops to pick up some necessaries for the stay here. Things aren't much different in that regard, but it's strange hearing Australian accents everywhere and I'm still in a state of awe whenever I hear it. The beach followed that afternoon and it was one of the most amazing things I'd seen yet. The waves are enormous, and I'm told they get to be quite large. The sand feels like it's kissing your feet as you walk in it. And the water feels incredible!

I settled in nicely though. All of my things were unpacked and organized in a matter of minutes. The only adjustment that I truly had a hard time with last night was trying to stay awake until 9 PM... Well that and thinking it was Friday, My body told me it was bedtime much earlier already, but of course, I had to force myself to stay awake until I was nearly dead with exhaustion. But I did get rewarded with a lovely night sleep and being awakened by the sound of birds singing in the rain.

Yep. I could get used to this.

- Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment